Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Here and There

He's there and I'm here.
79 hours and 36 minutes according to Mapquest.
4,644 miles.
Four Time Zones.
And across two countries.

It's been this way all along. Well, not in the beginning. In the beginning, he was overseas. Where distance is measured in time. As in "Two more months till I'm back". Where the sand is taunting instead of inviting. The sun is scarring instead of soothing. Funny how these can be so different when the setting is changed. Perhaps maybe it isn't irony after all that he chose to marry me in the sunshine on the sand. Perhaps that was a conscious decision on his part to refuse to let the things he loves be tainted by the things he's seen. Perhaps I'm merely finding coincidences where none are.

Regardless though, he's there and I'm here. Something that by now I should well be used to. It's always been this way after all. And yet there are the days that sneak up on me and meet me with such a longing for him that it shocks me. Today is one of those days. Today is a day that I simply would climb in his lap, wrap my arms around his neck, lay my head on his shoulder and remember that the way home is found in heartbeats not street signs, stoplights and right turns.

Today is one of those days. One of the days that I need him to be here. But it's not that easy. So today is another one that I simply wait.  And that's what I'll keep doing as long as I'm here and he's there.

No comments: